Monday 21 July 2014

Need a Hug?!

Now, a few years ago, I definitely was never one for hugs, especially with people I hardly know, but I found with different circles I've hung out in many people think nothing to a casual hug and kiss on the cheek just as a way to say hello or goodbye.



These days however I think they are awesome and I recommend everyone to have at least one decent hug a day,preferably more, whether its with a friend, family member or total stranger that is completely up to you. Not only is hugging a powerful form of healing, but it is effective at healing sickness, disease, loneliness, depression, anxiety and stress. Here are a few other benefits that hugging can do for you...

1. Gives you a Sense of Safety 
2. Boosts oxytocin levels - heals feelings of loneliness, isolation and anger.
3. Elevates your mood
4. Strengthens your Immune System.
5. Boosts Self Esteem 
6. Releases tension
7. Helps you be more present in the moment

I don't know if you have ever heard the following statement made by a respected family therapist called Virginia Satir, but I find it quite interesting...She said “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.” 
How many hugs do you currently have each day?? I would guess most of us are barely surviving. I don't know about you but I'm aiming for 8 or more. Grab the opportunity when you can, I highly recommend a good hug :-)

Have an empowered and hug filled week:-)

Much Love & Gratitude

No comments:

Post a Comment